Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What is the Secret Behind the Vines?


Hello readers of my daughter's blog! I am Fairday's mother, Pru. When she and Lizzy told me that the theme this week was going to be gardens, I just had to be a part of it. I asked her if I could review one of my very favorite stories and she agreed. So, here is my review of the wonderful book The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.  ~ Pru Morrow

Mary Lennox has been raised in wealth, catered to by servants, and completely ignored by both her mother and father. When a cholera outbreak kills her parents, she is sent to live with her distant uncle, Archibald Craven. Having been given everything she wants, but no love, Mary is spoiled and obstinate. She hates the manor tucked way out in the Yorkshire moors and is bitter towards the people living in the house, including her strange cousin, Colin, who sits miserably in a wheelchair that he doesn't need. She is told to stay out of the way and keep quiet. The scene seems grim until she befriends a maidservant named Martha Sowerby, who tells her about the late Mrs. Craven and her private rose garden. She explains that Mrs. Craven died an untimely death and that Mr. Craven locked the garden up and buried the key. Mary is intrigued. Called out by the song of a robin and a crafty boy named Dickon, she sets out to uncover a lost paradise. Will Mary find Mrs. Craven's secret rose garden? Will the dismal spirit that has hung over the Craven household for so long finally dissipate into the fog?

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett is a very special book for me. My mother read me this story when I was just about Fairday's age and it has never left my heart. Watching as Mary transforms from an unhappy, sour child into a rosy-cheeked, young girl full of hopes and dreams fills me with tears every time I read the story. I would recommend this book to readers ages 8 and up. I think you will enjoy following along with Mary as her world is changed forever by the magic and mystery of a lady's secret and her beautiful, hidden garden.

Has anyone else read The Secret Garden or any other books by Frances Hodgson Burnett?

Happy reading! ~ P

28 comments:

  1. Hi Pru, Wonderful post, this books brings back so many happy memories for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petty, Thank you. I was very happy to put together the review for The Secret Garden- though, I must admit, somewhat nervous. Fairday and Lizzy run a tight ship on their blog! It's nice to meet you, Petty ~ Pru

      Delete
  2. Hello Pru, I really enjoyed your review of one of my favourite books. I must read it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, I am so happy that you enjoyed the review. I must say, Fairday has shown me your page, and it is just lovely. Thank you for stopping by here today! ~ Pru

      Delete
  3. Ii love that book and I have seen the movie based on it, too!

    There is a new book sort of based on it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty,
      The girls just love to hear from you, so it's very nice to meet you. Thank you for stopping by and reading the review. Some years back I saw a movie version of the book that was absolutely wonderful! ~ Pru

      Delete
  4. welcome to blog world!!
    the book and movie are a family favorite here too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie- I love that this delighful classic is a favorite in your house as well. I enjoyed reviewing a favorite of mine and hope the girls will let me post again in the future. So nice to meet you! ~Pru

      Delete
  5. You know, I can't remember if I ever have read this. I'll have to get it and read it with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- If you haven't read this one then I highly recommend you read it with your daughter. I know I enjoyed reading it with mine. ~Pru

      Delete
  6. I've seen the movie twice in a row. I know. I know. I need to read the book. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- If you have seen the movie twice then I think you will find the book to be entertaining! ~Pru

      Delete
  7. I've always intended to read this book....ok, I'll be adding it to the top of my TBR pile now...thanks for the review Pru!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth- So glad you enjoyed the review. Hope you get to read The Secret Garden soon. ~Pru

      Delete
  8. I have always enjoyed The Secret Garden, but my favorite Frances Hodgson Burnett book is "The Little Princess".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wizkey- I loved The Littel Princess, too. I also very much enjoyed the movie version. I have watched it many times. I may reread the book this summer with Fairday. :) ~Pru

      Delete
  9. I think I read it years ago but do remember the movie. I accepted a book to read and review because the title reminded me of The Secret Garden. I need to add it it to my re-read TBR list. One can read the review of The Twilight Garden on my blog: http://mnleona.blogspot.com; look on the right side under labels for gardens or The Twilight Garden. Thanks for the reminder; this was a good blog. Leona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leona- Sometimes it is hard to remember a book after some years pass. I am curious about The Twilight Garden now that you mention it seemed similar to you. Thanks for stopping by the blog! ~Pru

      Delete
  10. I read this for the first time in the 5th grade and adored it. I can't wait to share this one with my daughter. It is a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- It is such a treat to hear from others who also enjoyed this enchanting story. It is one I can enjoy over and over again. I hope when you get the chance to read it with your daughter she loves it, too! ~Pru

      Delete
  11. I loved The Secret Garden and also A Little Princess by the same author. I read them to my own daughter when she was a little girl.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin- Thanks for stopping by. Frances Hodgson Burnett was an amazing author. I love her stories and I think it is wonderful that you shared them with your daughter. ~Pru

      Delete
  12. Nice to hear from Fairday's mother! even nicer to read her fantastic review of a charming classic. Nicely done.
    --Greg

    http://thedelivererssharkeyandthejewel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregory- So nice to meet you! I am delighted that you enjoyed my review! You chose the perfect word to describe The Secret Garden- charming. ~Pru

      Delete
  13. I have never read this book but always wanted to. I absolutely must read it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- I hope you pick this one up. You will not be disappointed! ~Pru

      Delete
  14. I read this one as a child and I think it was my very first classic. A librarian who treasured and nutured my will to read suggested it to me and I loved it. I was so intrigued with the concept of a secret garden that I always wanted one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- I have always wanted a secret garden of my own too. It just sounds like such fun. :) ~Pru

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget