Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Is There Really a Witch of Blackbird Pond?

Imagine being on a boat and seeing a mother strike her child for losing her doll over the edge and into the water. Now picture yourself jumping into the water to retrieve that doll for the little girl. You would probably expect cheers and thanks.  Unfortunately for Kit Tyler the year is 1687, and the people who witnessed the rescue start to think that she might be a witch because it is unheard of to know how to swim. Kit is fleeing from her home in Barbados to Connecticut Colony where she plans to live with her aunt and uncle whom she has never met. When Kit shows up on their doorstep unexpectedly it is clear that they are not happy to have her there, but she has nowhere else to turn.  Her new life is much harder than she could have ever imagined! Her aunt, uncle, and cousins are Puritans and they follow their religion strictly. The work is harder than anything Kit has ever done and there are so many rules to follow. These changes, along with the drab colors that surround her, are making her depressed. Finally, an old Quaker woman named Hannah befriends Kit and helps to make life in this strange place a bit easier. Sometimes when she is with Hannah she gets to spend time with Nat, a sailor she met on her journey. Of course, one of the richest and most handsome men in town begins to show quite an interest in Kit, which also helps to make the days a bit more fun. Before long things take a turn for the worse and Kit is forbidden to continue seeing Hannah, who most of the people in town believe is a witch. Will Kit take the risk and continue visiting one of the only people she can relate to in this strange place? Will Hannah be the only one accused of witchcraft? Is there any way that Kit can fit into life in Connecticut Colony? You won’t be able to stop turning the pages so that you can find out sooner how it all works out!

I would definitely recommend The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare to anyone who enjoys historical fiction in grades five and up. This was a quick and interesting read. I found it fascinating to learn about what life was like in New England almost 350 years ago. I used to think it would have been fun to live during colonial times, but this book reminded me of how hard their lives were and how quick people were to accuse others of wrongdoings. I know I would have had a difficult time holding my tongue and it would have been scary to have been labeled a witch and have had to stand trial.  Kit is easy to relate to and you can’t help but hope for the best for her. I would definitely want to be friends with her because of her big heart, easy-going personality, and her desire to help the underdog. I could tell Kit was falling in love as the book progressed, even though she wasn’t sure herself. I was stressed out waiting to find out how it would all end! This book certainly makes history come to life and I hope to visit Wethersfield, Connecticut this summer to learn more!

Has anyone else read The Witch of Blackbird Pond? Or another book by Elizabeth George Speare?

Happy Reading!
~L

28 comments:

  1. Liking the sound of this one, I'm away to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it, but it sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- If you like HF- then this is a book you are sure to enjoy. ~F

      Delete
  3. Read this one many years ago as an assignment for school and loved it. It's been one of my favorites ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessn1017- That is great that you first read this book for school and really enjoyed it. I think this is a book I will want to reread in the future- just because I liked it so much. :) ~F

      Delete
  4. Wow! I remember this from Grade School! A blast from the past. Reading your review makes me want to read this all over again! Finally starting your book today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi-
      I am sure if you reread The Witch of Blackbird Pond you would enjoy it even more. The history really makes you think! How exciting that you are starting our book today. Happy reading! ~Stephanie

      Delete
  5. I've not read this, but it sure sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Elisa- I hope you get a chance to read it soon! Also- I hope your daughter is feeling better! ~Stephanie

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a great read! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I've read this, but I'm not 100% sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review. I've just started this book and so far, I'm LOVING it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- Thanks! I am so happy to hear that you are reading it- and loving it! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. This sounds like something I would really like to read. Thanks for the excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- If you get around to reading it I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by and so glad that you liked the review. :) ~L

      Delete
  11. I loved this book, and still own a copy. It's one I frequently recommend as well. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie's Mom- It is so nice to hear from someone else that has enjoyed this book! So glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for stopping by! ~L

      Delete
  12. One of my all-time favorites! By one of the all-time great authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle- It is nice to meet someone else who enjoys the book so much! I look forward to reading more by this author. Thanks for stopping by! ~F

      Delete
  13. Another of my favorites. An all-time favorite. I really enjoyed her Newbery winner, The Bronze Bow, as well. Fabulous author. And a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle- I have never read The Bronze Bow. Thanks for the recommendation. I look forward to checking it out. So glad you enjoyed this review! ~F

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget