Thursday, May 17, 2012

Top of the Heap!

We opened up the topic of Greek and Roman mythology with Monday's Riddle and Lizzy reviewed the middle grade book The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, where all Hades breaks loose and three demigods must struggle to complete their quest. Today, we are excited to chat about our favorite Gods/ Goddesses. Yeah mythology! 


This weeks top of the heap: Best Greek and Roman Gods/ Goddesses


Helen of Troy; painting by Dante Gabriel Rossetti, 1863
Fairday: Recently on Top of the Heap I chose Earth's heavenly sister, Venus, as my favorite planet. She is also my pick for most fascinating Roman goddess. The stories of Venus reflect her mystique in myth and reality. It's hard to imagine what a goddess of love would look like. After all, everyones version of the most beautiful person is completely different. I imagine her to look a little like Helen of Troy, but flashier! ~ F


Symbol for fertility

Here's a bit about Venus:
She is the goddess who represents beauty, fertility, and desire. Known as Aphrodite in Greek Mythology, Venus was born of the Sea and Sky. She was honored as the Mother of the Roman people. Venus enchants anyone who sees her and inspires feelings of love wherever she goes. 





Lizzy: I have always had a strong connection to the ocean and water in general. Swimming is one of my favorite activities, and I feel like a mermaid as I glide through the water. After I read The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan, I became a big fan of Greek mythology. The god that I think is the best is Poseidon because he gets to rule the water. How cool would that be! After all, our planet is made up of 70% water! Poseidon's power is amazing and his trident is awesome. I would love to live under the sea with a wide variety of creatures and have the water all around me. ~ L


Here's a bit about Poseidon, the Greek God of Water: Poseidon is the Greek god of the sea. A son of Cronus and Rhea, he is one of six siblings who eventually divide the power of the world. His brothers and sisters include: Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Hades, and Zeus. The division of the universe involved him and his brothers, Zeus and Hades. Poseidon became the ruler of the sea, Zeus ruled the sky, and Hades became the ruler of the underworld. 


Photo by Jean Guichard





15 comments:

  1. thanks for the interesting and informative post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie- Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the post. :) ~F

      Delete
  2. What a great post! I used to joke that my Baby Girl was born part fish. She has ALWAYS loved the water, never worrying about the pesky possibility of DROWNING! You and her are kindred spirits, Lizzie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela- Your daughter and Lizzy are definitely kindred spirits! She can't get enough of the water. :) I think it is awesome that your daughter loves the water so much! ~F

      Delete
  3. I haven't read enough Greek mythology, but I love the idea of being born of the Sea and Sky. I love the sea despite being a terrible swimmer. I guess I love watching the sea instead of being in it. Cool post! The other Greek story I've heard of is about the God/deity whose liver gets eaten by the hawk/eagle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudine, Nothing is more spectacular that just sitting back and contemplating the sea- it's so mysterious and awe inspiring. Those crazy gods/goddesses did some pretty weird stuff, great to read about! ~ F

      Delete
    2. Claudine- The sea is so beautiful and amazing to watch! Sitting on the beach is one of my favorite spots. I think you would really enjoy Greek myths. :) ~F

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love mythology in any form. So good. Makes me want to re-read some of the classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, Great to hear from you! I enjoy mythology immensely as well- the art, the stories, the morality lessons told so poignantly, the list can go on- now I want to read some more of the classics as well! Have a great weekend! ~ F

      Delete
  5. Awesome post, and I love the pictures you included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! It was fun finding them. ~F

      Delete
  6. Loved this post. I still favor Greek over the Roman names. Aphrodite is one of my favorites. As for Poseidon, well, he just plainly scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- I prefer the Greek over the Roman, too. Not sure why! I do enjoy them all though. Aphrodite is amazing. :) ~F

      Delete
  7. I love Artemis and Percy Jackson also revealed to me the world of Greek Mythology. The bow and arrow, she's all independent, and she's the Goddess of the Hunt! How cool is that!? Katniss reminds me a lot of her actually.

    The Greek are more well known. They names of the Gods and Goddesses are more stressed when teaching Greek Mythology. I actually don't think I've ever been taught about Roman Mythology just about Roman culture and it's wars.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget