Friday, March 23, 2012

Author Interview with Giles-Paley Phillips

The DMS was lucky enough to interview Giles Paley- Phillips, author of the uniquely spooky story, The Fearsome Beastie. This classic tale of terror was our pick for Margo's Musings this past Friday, and I have been sharing the scare all week. We would like to thank Giles for telling us his story behind the story. So, without further ado, take it away, Giles...



1) What inspired you to write The Fearsome Beastie?
I have two young sons who are really into monsters at the moment, and I wanted to write something like the sorts of stories I read as a child, like the Grimm Brothers and Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl.


2) How long did it take you to write the story?
It took about a day to write, then a bit of tweaking here and there.


3) What are some of your favorite books from childhood? Were there any specific authors who inspired you?
Like most people in my generation, I loved everything by Roald Dahl, But also stuff by Maurice Sendak, Shel Silverstein, and Edward Gorey.


4) Where did you get the idea for Gran?
It's basically my Grandmother!


5) How did you meet the illustrator, Gabriele Antonini?
The Publisher chose the illustrator they felt fitted with my text, and that was Gabriele.


6) What is your favorite classic monster?
 The monster in Not Now Bernard By David Mckee.

7) What is the recipe for beastie stew?
10 stone of Rump Beastie steak, some bones for flavor, and garnished with some juicy eyeballs.


8) Where can we purchase a copy of The Fearsome Beastie?
Amazon, Waterstones, WHsmiths, everywhere really!


16 comments:

  1. Great choices for the inspirational authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you not love Silverstein and Dahl? Classic brilliant authors. I love the little recipe. I am headed over to Amazon to check this out. I have a 1 & 3 year old boy and girl and they love books, always looking for fun new reads for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, That's great that you're checking out The Fearsome Beastie! Thanks for stopping by. My favorite poem is Lazy Jane by Shel Silverstein : ) ~ F

      Delete
  3. I love the authors that he mentioned. I have read all of their books. I cannot believe this book only took about a day to write. Wow! The cover looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flex, I know! Isn't that amazing??? Thanks for stopping by today : ) ~ F

      Delete
  4. I think Edward Gorey's stuff is interesting and I really liked Fablehaven- I just started The Beyonders by Brandon Mull last week, it's cool so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl was one of my favorite stories when I was little. I just bought a copy of The Fearsome Beastie- it was interesting to read this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,
      I LOVE the story of James and the Giant Peach- I also liked the movie a lot. I thought the aunts were perfect : ) Thanks for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  6. thanks...this is an interesting interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is cool that the author wrote the book for his kids. Cool interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trey- I agree! :) His kids must feel so special!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget