Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What Will Happen Once the Lightning Starts Flashing?

Joshua and his best friend, Finn, are busy playing when an intense storm hits. Joshua's grandfather needs to run out for a minute, and he tells them to come inside and stay away from the windows. Unfortunately, when rules get broken- bad things happen. When Finn is snatched through the window by a hand from the sky, Joshua doesn't know what to do, other than taunt the hand so it grabs him too. The world where they wind up is riddled with fallen gods, goddesses, and lots of old magic. Joshua has no idea how to navigate the strange land, and it gets worse when he and Finn are separated. He needs to find his friend and get back home. But the children in this land are slaves and, they're worked to the bone. Joshua and his new friend, Charlie, are sent to into the service of Hecate, a most wicked boss. On his quest to find Finn, Joshua must travel the Lightning Road, and he encounters a “child collector” whose job is to steal children and make sure they can’t escape. He also must battle creatures that he's never even heard of before. It turns out there's more to his own family than he ever knew. Can Joshua figure out who he is, and what has really been happening all his life? Will he ever find Finn? Is there any way to get back to his home? You'll have to read this mythological tale to find out!


Joshua and the Lightning Road by Donna Galanti is a book that I would recommend to anybody who enjoys mythology. Joshua is a character that kids and adults will be able to relate to because he's brave, scared and stubborn. These are qualities most of us demonstrate at one point or another. I like the way that myths were interwoven into the story. Kids who don’t know a lot about mythology will still be able to enjoy and understand the story, but those who know more will have an added bonus. People who like a lot of action and adventure will be thrilled with the battle scenes, which are scary, but not too scary. I like the themes of friendship and family that run throughout the book, as well as honesty and building trust. The book is fast paced and intriguing. I was satisfied with the way the story ended. I look forward to reading the next book in the series and finding out what happens next!

Has anyone else read Joshua and the Lightning Road? Or have you read another book by Donna Galanti? We'd love to hear your thoughts!


Happy Reading!
~L



Stop by Friday to read our interview with Donna Galanti, and find out the story behind the story! ;)
Joshua and the Lightning Road will be out May 19th
Anyone who pre-orders can enter an amazing giveaway

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

54 comments:

  1. Jessica and Stephanie, I'm super giddy to be on here today - and that you liked Joshua and the Lightning Road! Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! I'm thick in edits right now for book 2, Joshua and the Arrow Realm - more friendships forged and beasts and bandits to battle. See you back on Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- We are so happy to have you on our blog today! Joshua and the Lightning Road is such an excellent book. We loved it. Hope the edits are going well! Book two sounds exciting. :) ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete
  2. It sounds great - and I am really looking forward to hearing more from Donna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child- It is a great book! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. This has a really interesting plot line... I hope he finds Finn and is able to get home... maybe freeing some other children along the way xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna, no spoilers here but some good deeds are done! :)

      Delete
  4. So...Finn and Joshua went to California...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the Greek or Roman gods may have snapped them up. Sounds like a fun book to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit- Good guess! It is a very fun read. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Sounds like something my son might enjoy. He's crazy about the Percy Jackson books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, hope he enjoys if he reads it! It's a fun twist on the Olympians who seem to have a problem with their powers :)

      Delete
  7. Now this is very interesting with the plot; makes one to obey the next time to stay away from windows; wonders if the grandfather knew something. Looking forward to the author's interview.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- It is definitely an interesting plot and it made me think twice about obeying my parents and grandparents. The grandfather definitely knew what he was talking about! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I haven't read it but I would like to it, must add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Patty- You will love it when you read it! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. I haven't read it yet, but I've ordered my copy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished Lightning Road. Lots of action and adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.Lee, thanks for reading! I'm reading your book right now - The Great Timelock Disaster and can't wait to have you on my blog for Character Book Club next month!

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a lot of fun! I love a good mythology tale :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- It is! I love mythology tales too. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. Yay, so happy for Donna! I wish her much success with this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A giant congrats to Donna for her cool new book! Middle grade kids will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine- I agree with you that middle grade kids will love Joshua and the Lightning Road! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Nice to see you here Kelly and Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a cool story. I'll try to remember to come back for the interview. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toinette- It is a great book! Hope you enjoy the interview. :) ~L

      Delete
  17. The cover has me. Sounds fascinating. I love mythology and kids. A win-win combination. Looking forward to the author interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- Isn't the cover awesome? It is a fabulous book and lovers of mythology will devour it. :) ~L

      Delete
  18. Lovely review. I hadn't heard of this one before. It sounds like a good book for fans of Percy Jackson and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shooting Stars Mag- This is the perfect book for fans of Percy Jackson! Glad to introduce you! :) ~L

      Delete
  19. I've been seeing this book around but this is the first review I'm reading. Sounds exciting! My attention was already caught when a hand took the boys off during the lightning storm. And a 'child collector' sounds chilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- I love that you have been seeing this book around. It is an exciting book and the story line is unique and keeps you on your toes. :) ~L

      Delete
  20. I always like a book for younger readers that features mythology. I will add this to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- Awesome that you added this to the reading list! It is great! :) ~L

      Delete
  21. Sounds like it has it all. Mythology is always a win at my hall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- I agree with you that mythology is awesome! :) ~L

      Delete
  22. sounds wonderful and intriguing--and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth Ellyn- It is! I love the cover too! :) ~L

      Delete
  23. As Percy Jackson fans, we love LOVE mythology for younger readers (and for those of us just young at heart -- lol). Joshua and the Lightning Road sounds like such a great read, and we'll definitely have to check this one out! Awesome review! *hugs*

    ~Michele & Mckenzie @ A Belle's Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele and Mckenzie- I love Percy Jackson too! Mythology is awesome! I know you will love Joshua and the Lightning Road! :) ~L

      Delete
  24. This book sounds like Percy Jackson! And seeing as I have loved all of those books, I am sure I would love it as well. I know all the kids who read this one and move onto Percy Jackson will be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- Savannah- Fans of Percy Jackson will love this book! A start to a great mythology themed series. :) ~L

      Delete
  25. Had the chance to be a pre-reader for Joshua and the Lightning Road. This book will take you on a journey that will awe and amaze. Combine the excitement with the great characters of Joshua, Bo Chez and Leandro and you have a book that you and your kids will not be able to put down. I love mythological stories, and this one definitely does not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randi- I love that you had a chance to pre-read Joshua and the Lightning Road! It sounds like you loved it as much as I did. Thanks for your comment! :) ~L

      Delete
  26. I am soooo loving all this enthusiasm! Thanks everyone. It will boost me on as I hunker down this weekend thick in revisions on book 2 :)

    And Randi, I so appreciate you being a first-reader and giving fabulous feedback - so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. Kimba- It is! I can't tell- but it is worth reading to find out. :) ~L

      Delete
  28. What an interesting storyline.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget